Monday 12 September 2016

REVIEW: Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks

I bought these liquid lipsticks around 9 months ago and have been wearing them non-stop. I bought a few nudes, a few pinks and a few brights. Overall I love the colours and also how long most of them last on the lips even after eating and drinking.

Firstly, the packaging. The boxes they come in are simple and very pretty. They really do live up to the name "colourpop" by putting the small red part at the ends of the plain white boxes. However, the boxes do remind me of the boxes you get medication from the pharmacy in. The actual bottle of the lipstick is very pretty and looks quite high end for the overall price that is so cheap. The applicator is accurate enough to apply straight from the tube and also sucks off the excess while you pull it out, but with some colours the product does not carry enough on the applicator even though it is quite large.




I bought 9 different colours, in order from left to right; Midi, Trap, Solow, Lumiere 2, Bumble, Tulle, Creeper, Avenue and Zipper..





Midi; This is the perfect nude for me as I am so pale. It is a pale pink, fades really well on me and it is opaque enough with only one coat, it has definitely become a staple. It doesn't touch up as well as the other colours, so I usually just take it all off and put it back on after.



Trap; This is a grey toned nude which is still really pretty, I find this tone fairly easy to wear depending on the look I'm going for and it touches up really quite well, if you only add it to the parts of the lip that have no lipstick left on them. I find it's a good dupe for Lime Crime's "Cashmere".



Solow; This is a pale dusky pink colour, which is opaque enough to only wear one coat and wears off nicely through out the day, it has a red tone to it and is a lot darker than "Midi". I do find that this one dries my lips out more than the rest of the colours. This is a really good colour dupe for Lime Crime's "cupid" however the formula is definitely more drying.


Lumiere 2; This one is part of Colourpop's Kathleen Lights collaborations. It is a grey/pink, almost purple tone and for my pale skin is a little more of a night time look. It applies smoother than the rest and personally I find this the best formula as it doesn't sit in the creases of the lips as much.




Bumble; Is a very hard colour to describe, it's kind of a terrocotta, pinky, orangey, red. I do love this colour and formulation, However, it does transfer and doesn't dry completely although it feels dry. I have worn this colour quite a lot and I do find it doesn't transfer as much when I've applied a lip liner underneath and also when I apply as thin a coat as possible. So although it can be a problem, it can at least be rectified.


Tulle; In the tube this colour looks almost the exact same as "Bumble" but once it dries down its quite a dark brown colour and doesn't have the same formula issues that "Bumble" has. I have to admit that I find this colour quite hard to wear and feel it would be more suited to someone with a warmer complexion as I have cool toned pale skin.  From what I have worn of it, it lasts longer than any of the other colours, however it definitely falls into those cracks and is quite drying and can be a little streaky. (DO NOT RUB YOUR LIPS TOGETHER AFTER PUTTING THIS ON, you'll make it worse) 




Creeper; DO NOT MAKE OUT WITH THIS ON!! Seriously though, this transfers like a normal moisturizing lipstick, it is sticky, bleeds a lot and does not dry down properly as you can see from the photo below and that is with a liner. The colour is lovely and opaque but the formula just isn't there, if those things don't phase you then by all means go for it.


Avenue; This colour is my favourite. It is a lovely warm, dark, red which is perfect for autumn and winter. I did actually wear this on Christmas day and it lasted all the way through past dinner. It transfers just a little around the inner lip line, but I don't really mind that when the colour is so good and comfortable. I do find it bleeds a little while drying but is usually fine after applying a lip liner first.


Zipper; Guys... Stay away from this one. Sorry, I know the colour is a beautiful, bright, purple but it just isn't worth the time you have to spend fixing it. It is so streaky, the colour builds up around the lip line and there is hardly any colour right on the center of your lips. I find a lip liner helps but is very hard to find one that matches the colour and you still have to put coat after coat on top of one another to give you any kind of coverage, which in turn leads to you having cracks and build up. Also not a lot of product comes up on the applicator it can be quite a few dips before you cover your lips just once. On the bright side if you have bought this and are stuck with it, it makes a great eye liner if you don't have wrinkly eye lids and definitely wear a primer.

(In this photo the colour isn't as bright as in real life,
however I really just wanted to show you the texture)

I store all mine in a small drinking glass, upright, as I find they dry in the tube quite quickly so I want all the product at the bottom so that it doesn't dry out around the applicator. I remove them by applying a lip balm over the top and then wait for it to soak in and rub my lip together I then take off the excess and then repeat but I wipe it off using cotton pads and "Simple" micellar water, then if I'm taking my makeup off at the same time, I usually do a full cleanse. This may seem eccentric but it is the only way I've found where they don't stain my skin around my lips.


In general, I think they are good for the price and compared to some other brands have decent formulas and colours, however I do think they are a hit or miss kind of product and there are definitely some that I will not repurchase. Unfortunately if you want to purchase any of these in the UK you do have to have a bit of a hunt and please try and be smart about it because the shipping and customs costs can be pretty high.












No comments:

Post a Comment